One of Heun Tsong’s Monastery in Amritsar Area Identified
Ancient Tank, Stupa, Mounds & Erstwhile bank of Sutlej found
1. Heun Tsong’s travelogue makes a mention of China Patti (Present Amritsar, Tarn Taran & Patti area) where he found there were 10 Budhist monasteries
2. One is definitely found at Kotli Wasava Singh near Valtoha, about… km from Patti
3. Kotli Wasava Singh is a part of habitation that existed along the Sutlej river bank. We continuously find mounds along this bank for 15kms. from Sabhrao to Khemkaran.
4. The present flow of river Satluj is drifted 7-8 away south.
5. Coins among others Emperor Knishaka Kushan have been found. We also find coins of kings till 11th C.
6. Carbon Dating of bricks (Got conducted by D.C.Attri of Archaeological Survey of INdia) take us to Indus Civilisation era.
7. Kotli Wasava Singh sarovar or tank is a pucca octagonal tank. It is brick walled. The bricks used here raise a lot of curiosity. The 12” X 9” brick often used during the Kanishan period is a also abundantly used elsewhere but not in the Sarovar.
8. The mound at Kotli Wasava Singh was in about 15 acres which is now under cultivation
9. About one Km upstream is the brick built Budhist Stupa. The structure & shape of stupa leave no doubt about its identity.
10. There again is a rich mound near the Stupa
11. Two marble images were also found during the cleaning of tank. One being displayed at the Sarovar is believed to belonging to some bodhistava like Vineet Prabha which Heun Tsong has mentioned.
|The octagonal well near sarovar|
|Image found in the sarover most probably of Vineet Prabha as |
mentioned by Heun Tsong
|The special Brick used in sarvar wall|
|Site of Buddhist Stupa: People worshipped as scale of |
Shravan Bhagat the devotee of blind parents
|Ancient Vann Trees near Stupa|
|Shravan Bhagat's image displayed there.|
|Mounds along the river ex-bank|
|The mounds are rich in artefacts.|
VIDEO IN ENGLISH IS ALSO AVAILABLE AT :http://youtu.be/eb8MFiAzQ1c
HERE IS A VIDEO ON KOTLI WASAVA SINGH IN PUNJABI